22 June, 2008

a long overdue shout-out

I def should have done this ages ago! We are very lucky to have many VERY supportive friends in our lives. They add so much and make us better for knowing them. However- I would like to highlight the ones who wrote reference letters for us. In no particular order, we have:

Tara and Jeramy: Tara and Jeramy struggled through writing a joint letter. Grammatically, the level of difficulty on that letter was 10!!! Now- that is love. But their support doesn't stop there. They are also my surrogate family when JF is away. Jeramy cooks for me at least once a week, providing me not only dinner, but lunch for the following day. It is amazing! He has even made injera!!! They also were so kind and gave a a baby book for an adopted child. They are the best neighbors people could have, and we are so grateful for their love and support.

Vanessa: Van is my friend and the co-worker who makes my days fun. On top of writing a beautiful letter, she listens to me for 8 hours five days a week!! When I start freaking out or getting a little crazy, she calms me and makes me feel much better about things. And she and her HUSBAND (they just got married and that seems weird to write) Anthony provided me with the book: Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child: From Your First Hours Together Through the Teen Years. - a book I highly recommend. Vanessa is one of those happy coincidences for me. We both started working in out office at about the same time and have become very good friends. I am so lucky to have her in my life.

Becky: Becky is another co-worker who has gone on to become an best friend. I met her because I did her timesheets. I can't remember the moment that cemented our friendship, but I am so glad that she is in my life. She always has an ear for me. Her touching letter shows her love for JF and myself. Her weekly walks with me keep me sane and in good health! Becky's joy for life is infectious and Jf and I appreciate it so much. After the three of us roomed together at Van and Anth's wedding, JF and I made her an honorary member of our family.

Jim and Sue: Jim and Sue have known me since I was 3 or 4 years old. If they have any gray hairs (and I am not saying that they do-but if they do), I may be responsible for a few of them! (the tobbogan) Another couple that struggled through the grammar struggles of a jointly written letter. Once again, difficulty: high, results: outstanding! They really captured JF's special relationship with my nephew Brendan. The fact that they were able to capture that on paper demonstrates how well they know us. It makes my heart happy that they were part of this experience for us. I can't wait until our baby gets to meet them!

And last but certainly not least Scott: I met Scott in Chemistry class in 11th grade. We hit it off and have been friends since. Sure, we may have had 5 years or so where we had no contact. Get us together and we are like white on rice. The fact that JF loves him as much as I do was evidenced just recently. I called Scott, "baby". JF quickly shouted, "he's my baby, too!" Scott, you are both of our baby and we couldn't be happier about it! Not only did you write a great letter, you printed on your catholic school's letterhead. This clearly demonstrates we have friends who have the ear of God! Don't think for a second we aren't appreciative:o)

This is just a glimpse into a vast support net that we are lucky enough to have. Reading the letters that our fiends wrote for us was such a neat experience. It just underlined how lucky we are, and how much support we have available to us. Thanks guys!!


3 comments:

LISA said...

How AWFUL,having to be in Fiji!!!Poor guy!! LOL!
We really find out how wonderful our friends are,and what drew us together,when they do "the letter" for us.And hey,i want your neighbors!!

Colleen and JF Bertrand said...

hahaha, my neighbors are AMAZING! Any word on a referral?

Special Delivery said...

Colleen-
Such a nice shout-out! What a wonderful blessing to be surrounded by such love and support. Perhaps I'll meet your neighbors when I visit. We, too, have fantastic neighbors. They really make all the difference. We'll chat soon.