16 February, 2009

Half way through


JF here with another irregular post from the field. So as many of you know, I am away from my new family on my last big field season in Fiji. As Colleen shivers in Rochester NY (though I think Jacob likes the cold), I am not going to complain to much about Fiji, but I really would much rather be home. I am working all the time here, 1) to make the most of this final long field trip, and 2) so I don't think that much about how much I miss my family. A saving grace is Yahoo Instant Messenger with voice and webcasts. Every day I am at the Conservation International office in Suva, the capitol, I get to see and talk to Colleen and Jacob (and Brendan, and Lauren, and Ethan.)

I think it is interesting that Jacob will grow up never knowing what it is like to be able to not to call or see someone. Just a few years ago, when I was in the field Colleen and I were relegated to a few short expensive phone calls a month. Now I check in every few days at the least. In about an hour I am heading to the village of Waitabu on the island of Taveuni. The village has established a marine park for eco-tourism so we are surveying their coral reef to compare it to areas where there is less management and conservation. I am feeling good about it, our team is working well and I think we will complete this last survey in about a week. Taveuni is a beautiful island, with lots of rainforests and waterfalls. Still I would much rather be in the snowiest city in the US right now. I will be heading home in just under three weeks and I can't wait.

2 comments:

Special Delivery said...

JF, Colleen, and Jacob-

I am happy to hear that this time of separation is almost over for you guys. You have done a great job of taking advantage of all the technological advances around to make sure that you are seeing as much of each other as possible. I know that these next few weeks will fly by and you'll be together again soon!...And then, you'll be in New York visiting me! Yay! We miss you all!

Colleen and JF Bertrand said...

Sweetheart, we are missing you so much! Get home safe and sound and quickly! We love you! XOXO