26 March, 2009
You learn something new every day
So last night, JF and I went to have our taxes done. It was at that point that we realized Jacob not having a Social Security Number was an issue. We needed one for him to file, but can't actually apply for one until we readopt him in MA. SO what to do???? Well, I learned that you can apply for a SSN for a child in the re-adoption process using this form here. I really wish I had known about this form before we tried to file our taxes, but our accountant says we will be fine. We will submit by paper and at first include no number, knowing it will get kicked back. This will buy us the time to get the number. Problem solved!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Thanks for the info on taxes .... we'll be in that boat next year. And oh my! That picture of your chuck-a-monk having quality tummy time is killing me! He is so adorable. I just want to eat him up!
You are a wealth of knowledge! I feel like I need to up my expertise in something so our friendship is a little more balanced! Seriously, I'm a slacker lately! wink wink~
I actually just took my daughter and her "green card", along with her birth certificate and ET adoption paperwork, directly to the social security office and applied for her card. They issued a number and I had the card within a week. I then used the number to claim her on my taxes (and get the adoption credit). I had to use her name on her ET paperwork, but as soon as I readopt her and change her name, I will just do a name change with SS. Very easy. Some clerks in the ss office will tell you you have to wait for the re-adoption, but you don't (as long as you have the green card in hand).
Oh man, what a pain. At least you've figured it out now, but still! What a pain!
We did try to get one at the Soc Sec Office, but they told us we had to wait. I think it depends.
Post a Comment