02 March, 2009

One more week

Bula everyone,
JF here, or "Jai" as everyone calls me in Fiji. Jean-Francois is just too much of a mouthful, not that I can judge as most Fijians are fluent in at least two languages (English and Fijian or Hindi). I have finished up most of my work and I preparing to head home. This is it for long trips to Fiji (or anywhere for that matter). From now on it will be one and two week jaunts, with the family if possible. This trip has gone very well, we got all our work done, everyone got along, and we spent time in two of the nicest places in Fiji, the village of Yaro on Malolo Island, and Waitabu on Taveuni Island.We just got back from Taveuni, despite the best efforts of Bligh Waters Shipping and Ferries to strand us on the island (I have never ever been on a Fijian ferry that ran on time.) We were a day late but all's well that ends safely ashore. Waitabu was a paradise, a small village of about 25 homes (called bures pronounced burr-ays) with lovely friendly people and a very nice reef just off the shore. Waitabu has protected a portion of their reef for conservation and they run a small visitor center and take out the occasional tourist. It is well off the beaten path so it has not suffered from hordes of Aussies and Yanks descending on this undeveloped countryside. There are pools fed by waterfalls in which one can swim, forests with orange doves and red parrots, and close to 100% coral coverage just past the reef crest. Of course there is also no internet and only power while the generators are running. I didn't wear shoes for two weeks (and ended up forgetting my flip flops in the village). Regardless I will soon be trading in the shorts and bare feet for boots and a heavy winter coat, and I can't wait. I will see you all very soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear that the trip went well, JF. We called Leo and Valeska over the weekend and sent them the URL to your blog. They are VERY excited to read it. Safe travels home, buddy.

Special Delivery said...

Aww! I am so happy to hear that you had such a great trip! I am thrilled for you that it was both enjoyable and productive. But, lace up those boots because we can't wait to have you back on dry land! See you soon! Safe travels!

Colleen and JF Bertrand said...

We are SO close! We cannot wait to see you! We love you so so so much.

Special Delivery said...

WELCOME HOME JF!! I can't wait to see you and hear all about your trip!