My 20s were spent in and out of the hospital with multiple surgeries for endometriosis. When I was 27, I had to make a very difficult decision to have a hysterectomy. It a terrible decision for me. I was not dating anyone at the time, and I could not imagine who would want to date me after the surgery. How would I even bring it up? I could not imagine not being a mom. But who would allow me to adopt when I was having surgery every 9 months and would not be able to lift a baby for weeks after? How would I ever smile again?
Little did I know, that was the best decision I could have ever made. It allowed me to live without pain for the first time in 9 years. I could laugh again. Shortly after that, JF asked me out. We had been friends for about a year before the surgery. At the time, JF so eloquently stated, "Uteruses (sp?) are overrated". It seems he truly believed that. He married me a couple years later.
Fast forward to today. I have a husband whom I adore. I have a darling baby who is my heart. We are surrounded by friends and family, and lavished with support. I am healthy enough to jog! And I do!! Everyday of my life, I am grateful. My life is better than I could EVER imagine. I am so lucky. For whatever reason, today, I more acutely aware than I am on other days. So I want to take the opportunity acknowledge how lucky I am.
7 comments:
I've been jotting down notes and blog postings for a book for Sam some day. My aunt said I should get it published. I have been toying with the title: "Infertility is Wonderful: the story of how Gregg and Megan made a family."
I too am so happy it all worked out this way. I cannot imagine a more perfect son for me than Sam.
Man, now I am a weeping mess. Thanks a lot!!! j/k.
That was SO sweet. And beautiful.
Cindy
I feel lucky to call you friend! You are an amazing woman with such strength and appreciation! I gain so much from you everyday, as do all who know you, I am sure! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!!! Dan is SO excited too! He always is so nonchalant about all my planning until the day is here. Then, he gets all OMG on me! Let's just say that the idea that in a few short days he gets to hang out with the boys has caused him to be a little OMG! Love you tons!
This is such, such, such a beautiful post. I'm a weeping mess too!
Thanks for reminding me about your family. I have added you to my blog roll so I can keep up! You have a gorgeous family!
Hey Colleen - that's an inspirational message for those of us still struggling with that horrible disease. Still hesitant to let my uterus go, but knowing your story and seeing the pics of Jacob helps. I miss you guys! Hope JF is back with you and Jacob soon.
Hi Colleen and JF!!! It's Sinta from Indonesia. HOpe you still remember me. Craig showed me this blog because he said you have a baby now! I am sooo excited and happy for you too! I love children and little Jacob is adorable!! I am so glad that he clearly wipes away your sadness from the surgery. You two are great couple and I miss you two so much. I have a baby girl, too. If only someday baby Charma can play together with Jacob, it would be sooo much fun! Take.care!
Post a Comment